The San Gregorio Magno Church, Indang, Cavite. This church was once a visita or a chapel of the Parish of Silang, Cavite. Under the Jesuits, Fr. Angelo Armano S.J. established it as a mission in 1611, and dedicated to St. Gregory the Great in 1625. Also under the patronage of St. Francis Xavier, Fr. Luis Morales SJ built the larger part of the church from 1672-1676. The church was finished in 1707, and the convent was finished in 1710.
When the Jesuits were suppressed, the diocesan clergy governed the church in 1768 and the Dominicans in 1891.
From a list found in the parish walls, these were the parish priests from 1625-1859. P. Gregorio Lopez SJ, P. Pedro de Segura SJ, P. Ignacio Monroy SJ. The first Jesuit assigned here was P. Angelo Armano SJ. The most famous was Fr. Pedro Sanlucar SJ, author of the tagalog “vocabularyo” which was used by many missionaries learning the language of the locals.
Next stop: Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Maragondon, Cavite.
Note: If you want to check out our pilgrimage sites of Pre-suppression Jesuit Churches in Cavite, Philippines, just click on the links below: